Essie Retro Revival 2 - Swatches & Review*

Hi everyone, I've got an epic swatch post for you guys. The lovely people over at Essie were kind enough to send me their latest Retro Revival collection, which is only available until the 7th March (Superdrug) and 14th March (Boots). It's inspired by the bright lights of Las Vegas, where Essie was first launched 35 years ago.


All the following swatches are three coats WITH top coat!

Pure Chiffon - A peachy, cream nude with a slight shimmer, this is quite a sheer polish. One or two coats would give a nice wash of colour without looking like a block colour. On my skin tone, I think the colour is a touch ageing and a little old-fashioned but I think on darker skin tones, this would look a lot nicer.

Sweet Tart - A gorgeous greige shade with the same sort of shimmer you see in Pure Chiffon, Sweet Tart is a great day-to-day shade for anyone who likes their nails done but not too flashy. A little different to a standard nude or grey, it reminds me of Barry M's Mushroom but with a warm, rather than a cool, shimmer.

Flawless - A baby pink creme, Flawless is a great spring-time polish. It was opaque in two coats but I used a thin third coat just to even everything out.

Chastity - I would describe this shade as a proper Barbie pink creme, something Trixie Mattel would sport. I needed three thin coats of this because it reacted a little weirdly with my base coat (an OPI peel off if you must know) but the top coat evened everything out in the end. Not one I'd personally sport on a regular basis but a good stock colour to have for nail art.

Prima Bella - I think this will be one of those marmite polishes, you'll either love it or hate it. As a nail enthusiast, I love it because it is so out there. Again, like Chastity, the pink shimmer wouldn't be something I'd wear on a day to day basis but I think it would be a great base for nail art (in fact I did use it as a base, for my Valentine's nail art I sported for nearly two weeks!) This one was opaque in two coats but again, I used a third to even things out.

Bold Beauty - Last but not least, Bold Beauty is a gorgeous burgundy wine crelly. Three coats give it that *sheer opacity* which categorizes a crelly. This is probably my pick from the entire collection but that might be because I'm still in winter mode.

Final Thoughts? Essie have brought back six classic shades that will appeal to many different age groups and skin tones. For me, some shades are a bit more flattering on my skin tone than others and I think on my ghostly hands, some can read a little old-fashioned. My picks from the collection would be Sweet Tart and Bold Beauty.

Over on instagram, you would have seen my nail art using these polishes but here they are for you to see
A post shared by Rebecca (@flailsandnails) on


A post shared by Rebecca (@flailsandnails) on

The Return to Retro shades by Essie are still available from Superdrug and Boots but for a limited time (7th Superdrug/14th Boots)

Which is your favourite shade? Let me know in the comments below! Until next time :D

Comments