Waterspotted Nails

Sinful Colors Hazard and Essie Buy Me A Cameo

So a few days ago, I thought I would have a go at some water-spotted nails.  Even though I'm into nail art, I STILL haven't tried water marbled nails since all of the tutorials and posts I've seen online always say at one point or another that it is really messy.  For some reason I thought water spotted nails wouldn't be that bad...I WAS WRONG
Have a dodgy picture from my phone for a closer look!

If anyone doesn't know what waterspotted nails are or how to do them, you basically:


  1. Paint your nails as normal and seal with a top coat
  2. Fill a cup or tub with water (I've heard that filtered water is best but I just used tap (maybe this is why I had problems!))
  3. Drip drops of another colour of nail varnish into the water and let it spread.  Drop a few drops so that the layer of varnish is thick enough.
  4. Secure the layer to the side of the container using a toothpick.
  5. Use a spray of some sort that contains alcohol (I used an air freshener) and spray once onto the nail polish in the container.  Hopefully this will create holes in the layer of varnish.
  6. Dip your nail into the layer of varnish and remove with a toothpick the excess varnish.  If you put vaseline or handcream around your finger before putting it in the water, this will help with the clean up afterwards as the varnish won't stick to an oiled surface.
  7. Seal with a top coat and finito!
I won't even go into how difficult it was to get ten successful layers of polish but to be honest, I do like the effect, I just won't be doing it again for another while!

Comments

  1. These look so great! I love the colour combination
    I would love to try them soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love any and all comments on my blog...except spam, no one likes that, so don't be that guy!